Pauleywood

It's been a long time coming but finally I have a cool blog that I can call my own. Most people reading will already know who I am. Discussions of hip hop and life will usually take place here when I have things to talk about.

Saturday, June 06, 2009

Shabat Shalom

Well here I am on a Saturday listening to Mutemath and typing on the computer. This past week saw a lot of stuff happen including the beginning of the ZAKA project. With everything else going on and then this it's gonna be busy, but at least we are ahead of the game for the most part.

ZAKA is a jewish organization that offers medical assistance in times of crisis. Often they are the first responders on the scene, but also they collect body parts of the deceased in tragic situations in order for the victim's family to have a proper jewish burial. ZAKA workers were on hand in the Mumbai bombings, and the Tsunami a few years ago giving assistance. So that sets up the story.

On Tuesday David, Chris, and I went to Kiryat Gat for a test drill involving the army, medical, police, and Zaka. The scenario was the aftermath of a missile bombing in the city and how these teams would respond to the tragedy and also how to deal with the media. Of course there was tons of media there from CNN, to BBC, to all the Israeli networks and us. So while we were trying to get shots of medical personal trying to deal with different situations with mannequins, there was a special team design to keep the area clear. It was a big baligan (mess) but I guess that is the idea.

Just being there during the test was a little disturbing. A loudspeaker would blare air raid sirens and screams, with exposions and we are in the remains of Kiryat Gat's former city hall (demolished to make way for new construction but ideal for the exercise). Rubble is everywhere and so you got to watch your step (especially with the camera). I was on camera duty and we got some good footage of Zaka in action as well as the rest of the action.

Anyways, the Zaka project has a lot more story to tell and may end up leading to some interviews with some very important people (possibly a few former and present heads of state) which will be exciting if it happens.

Wednesday was a cool day because my cousin Dan arrived back home from his little jaunt in the far east. He spent 3 months travelling around India, Thailand, Cambodia, and in between doing different stuff. He has lot's of interesting stories and to celebrate we all went out for burgers at Burger's Bar that evening.

The weather has been great here and I hear the weather is pretty warm in Vancouver right now too. The thing is that 30 degree weather around here is pretty much the norm while over in Vancouver it's pretty much as hot as it gets. Still it was interesting reading the newspaper and looking at the weather map and seeing Vancouver warmer than San Fran, LA, Orlando, Dallas, and Miami.

Today is shabat which means pretty much everything is closed unless you go into Abu Ghosh. It is interesting because Abu Ghosh (due to it being an Arab village) is open and all the Jerusalemites go into Abu Ghosh to eat and shop. Tonight Jay and I are going to a christian journalists meeting.

That's about all for this week. I would request that you keep Israel Vision in your prayers, a lot is being done on very little money and bills need to be paid. Since I've come there has been a lot of improvement in the morale I think and also the production because of the extra hand. There has been an invitation to stay longer which I can't do right now because of my travel budget and my tickets, but there is discussion about me going back in the near future and continuing to work, but I also need to figure out finances and such. So I am in deep thought and prayer about that right now as well.

Anyways, take care all. I love you all and will see you in July. Right now some pictures from Tuesday.


Ground Zero as far a the simulation is concerned. You can see the maniquins strewn around the site.

Getting in on the ZAKA meeting. Chris took over on camera so I could get this picture.

More of the baligan. Media on display as well with the camera.

One of the Israeli generals giving a statement to the media about the exercise.

ZAKA (in white) talking to members of the army to see what needs to be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home